Delicious Parmesan-filled turkey meatballs are gluten-free (or use crumbs if you can have gluten). They freeze well and double easily so make enough for the freezer.
No dairy for Romeo. No gluten for Olivia. And who is that’s avoiding pork? I can’t keep it all straight.
I can’t please Romeo with these meatballs since they’re packed with Parmesan, but I can get rid of the bread crumbs and pork. Add in some spicy Arrabbiata sauce and you’ve got a delicious dinner that (almost) everyone can enjoy.
Don’t lose heart, my dairy-avoiders. You can remove the Parmesan and instead use your favourite bread crumbs. I like to use 1 cup bread crumbs and 1/2 cup nutritional yeast. Yes, it means making two batches if you need them dairy-free for some people and gluten-free for others.
These meatballs freeze well, so make a double or triple batch if time allows. Then simply pull out of the freezer, reheat, and serve with spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, or your favorite gluten-free pasta for a quick and delicious weeknight meal.
This recipe uses the same spicy Arrabbiata sauce from my Zucchini Noodles. The two go well together – make up a batch of noodles and serve it with the sauce and these cheesy turkey meatballs.
You might like:
15 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
45 minTotal Time
- 2 cups Arrabbiata sauce
- 2 pounds ground turkey breast
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese OR breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 3 Tablespoons fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 Tablespoons onion salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat baking mat. Set aside.
- Pour tomato sauce into 9x13” glass baking dish and spread in a thin layer to cover the bottom and set aside.
- Add ground turkey, eggs, Parmesan cheese OR bread crumbs, oregano, basil, parsley, garlic, onion salt, and crushed red pepper flakes to a large glass bowl.
- Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Thoroughly combine mixture with your hands and divide into 24 equal-sized portions. For larger meatballs, separate into 18 portions.
- Add more Parmesan cheese or crumbs, if necessary, to bind the ingredients.
- Gently roll each portion into a ball and place on prepared baking sheet, leaving room between each meatball.
- Place baking sheet in pre-heated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer meatballs to prepared baking dish.
- Drizzle with additional tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Place baking dish in oven for approximately 10 minutes, or until sauce and meatballs are heated through.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately with additional tomato sauce, Parmesan cheese, and fresh basil, if desired.