Summertime Berry Salad with Fresh Raspberry Vinaigrette – light, refreshing, seasonal way to cool off in the summer heat
Here in Nova Scotia, we have a short growing season.
That means that we go crazy about fruit when they are in season.
Today I am going to share with a simple salad that is packed with delicious, fresh fruit, Whole 30 Compliant for those of you who follow that, and easy to make.
Plus I show you how to make a fresh vinaigrette that’s going to blow anything from the store out of the water.
Fifteen minutes from ‘let’s have a tasty salad’ to dishing it out on the plates.
To start, put rice wine vinegar, fresh raspberries, lemon juice and olive oil in a blender and mix them thoroughly. Quickly blend in salt. Taste it and adjust the proportions if you find it too tart or too sweet. (Too sweet? I feel weird writing that.)
Wash Romaine lettuce, remove the stem and chop it. Add this to a large mixing bowl with mint, strawberries and blackberries.
If there are no tree nut allergies in the family, add toasted sliced almonds.
If your raspberries, strawberries and blackberries were bought at the Farmer’s Market, picked from your own property or purchased at the local grocery store, I’m not judging you. Just make sure they’re fresh.
If you’re transporting your raspberries across the continent and trying to call them fresh, I just might judge you. #sorrynotsorry
Toss your homemade raspberry vinaigrette with the salad, wonder why you let the grocery store charge you so much for a little bottle of vinaigrette, and vow to try it with strawberries next time.
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup raspberries
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 head Romaine lettuce chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup sliced blackberries
- 1/3 c. toasted sliced almonds
- Add vinegar, raspberries, lemon juice, and olive oil to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Add salt and taste. Adjust other flavors to achieve the desired balance. Set aside.
- Add lettuce, mint, strawberries, blackberries, and toasted almonds to a large bowl and gently toss to combine.
- Drizzle with raspberry vinaigrette and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 4